Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cool morning air

With the temperature rising and the snow melting, I decided it was time to start biking to work.

The water level has still been rising this week, and the path where I get on, by our house, has been threatening to be covered, and this morning it was. But there was only a very thin layer of water, so I just biked through. We'll see how it is on my way home. There is a section just west of our place, where the water has completely covered the path and it looks to be fairly deep...it is sectioned off, so no one can get through.

Anyhow, I believe the ride is about 5 Km from home, (I don't have the odometer display on my bike, mostly because I'll likely forget to take it off when I park the bike at work, and someone may mistake it for theirs) and it takes me 20 minutes door to door, I try not to work up a sweat on my way in, so that I don't need to change or shower.

It is chilly by the water in the morning, but it is so nice to be out on the bike. I hope to keep this up for the next several months. I don't prioritize getting out on my own enough, so this may be the only 'alone' exercise I get. I'll work on changing that over the next few months. Grant has suggested running and/or roller blading to work as well...we'll see if I'm up to that challenge. For now, I'll just stick to biking.

2 comments:

haggaret said...

Good stuff Bonnie! I'm hoping to start cycling into work starting next week. I need to get the rack mounted on my 'commuter', but I hope to do that this weekend. I also need to pick up some paniers but until I get the rack mounted, there is no point. I wish I lived close enough that I could use your method of not working up a sweat, but I just don't. On the plus side, I save on my water bill cause I shower at work. :)

Anonymous said...

You could use the pedometer on gmaps and that way you don't have to worry about losing your computer AND you find out how far it is to work.

-TDM