Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Key tax?"

I’m reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is buying a new car. After agreeing on the price of the car, the salesman starts adding on numerous surcharges, including a key tax. When Jerry questions this, the salesman simply replies, “How are you going to start the car?”

We bought our minivan used and it came with only one key. Our salesman said any Toyota dealer could make us another key. We’ve had the van for four months now and having just the one key was never a problem until two weeks ago.

So, on a Thursday, I go to the Toyota dealership. I tell the Parts department I would like another key. “Do you know the key code?” I have to call Toyota Canada to get the code for the key. I give them the VIN and all of the information they ask for, but for security reasons they can’t just give me the code over the phone. The superiors at Toyota Canada need to review my case and if they think I have honorable intentions they will give the key code to the dealership. Everything is in order so the code is given to the dealership after only 1 day. I then have to show all sorts of id to the parts department so they will actually cut the key for me. They cut the key no problem, but lucky me, my key has a transponder in it for extra security. After tax this key costs me $48 and it’s now Friday. “You’ll need to get the Service department to program the transponder for you.” You see, a cut key gives you access to the car, but you can’t actually start the engine until the transponder is programmed. The next available appointment with Service is the next Thursday. So off I go with my $48 key that unlocks the doors lets me listen to the radio. Sure enough it won’t start the van. The radio never sounded better, though. The security built into my key is very reassuring (I remember being able to start my dad’s truck with the key for my mom’s car, and you could get a key made for $3 at the hardware store).

Next Thursday finally comes around and the Service department is able to program the transponder. The kicker: the $48 I gave the Parts department doesn’t include the cost for programming. The sad part: I wasn’t surprised. Another $33 and I have a key that will actually start the van. Eight days and $81 for this key. I should mention this is for just the key, if you want another fob that unlocks the doors remotely, that’s another $200 for the Parts department, I don’t what the Service department’s cut would be.

Let’s see, when you buy a new vehicle, you get 2 master keys with fobs, and a valet key. The valet key would have a transponder in it so you’re looking at $643 to start your car. Key tax indeed.

1 comment:

haggaret said...

Another quality OG post. I guess I'm as jaded as you Grant cause I thought $81 for a key wasn't too bad. Of course that may be because when Amy told me the story, the new key cost significantly more. :)