Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Dad

9 years ago, yesterday, my life changed.

So many people have not had the opportunity to have known my dad. I am lucky to have so many memories. He was such a harder worker and very very generous.

He built our first house. He didn't take a single day off work, and only hired excavators and an electrician, the rest was just him.

When we were kids we 'had' to do groceries with my parents on Friday nights, but it was always capped off with Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins.

Once my mom was away in India, and left my Dad in charge of her prised plants in the house, with strict instructions on watering. The plants were flourishing until I said I would water them while he was away for a week.(I had a choice, he was going to ask the neighbours) I didn't water them...oops. Half of them died, and he took the blame. He never mentioned that he was away and left me in charge.

He would try and get home from work first so that my mom wouldn't have to make dinner.

I talked to him almost everyday when I was away at Universtiy. He would call me from work if more than a day went by. His message would often just say "HI"

Once I noticed new bowls in the house, I was talking about how much I liked them. A few days later he gave them to us, along with dinner plates he had ordered.

Grant drove him to the airport for a business trip, as he left he turned to Grant and passed him $50 and said "You should buy a better hammer."

My wedding dress. My dad did he would help because he claimed my mom couldn't see the details properly. He knew every milimetre of that dress. A simple dress turns out to be pretty special.

My cousins would come over and he filled up a little container of chocolate chips and they would sit at the dinner table and talk while they ate.

There are so many more little things

I think of him everyday, sad that my girls have not been able to experience the wonder of being around a man who silently did so much to please those around him.

Also it makes me so sad that he did so much for us, and wasn't able to enjoy the wonder of being with his grandchildren.

Imagine what a great grandfather he would have been to my girls.

1 comment:

D. Gillespie said...

Oh Bonnie,

I have tears in my eyes thinking about how much love there was in your house. I love those memories you shared.

I talked to my dad every day too after I moved out. Sometimes it was just a hi, other days it was longer.

He would have adored your girls.