Saturday, June 4, 2011

My first Half Marathon

I did it!

For years we have been watching the runners on Ottawa Race Week-end. We've proudly cheered Grant, Steve, Kev, and other friends.

Every year I watch these amazing people work hard at accomplishing a goal they set out for, always thinking "Wouldn't it be great to do this one day?"

Let me tell you, it WAS great, but it ain't so easy!

When I signed up, my goal was to finish in about 2hrs 15min. After 6 or 7 weeks of running, I started feeling as though I could get under 2hrs 10min.
I had lots of good training runs, so race week I decided that I was going to push to finish under 2hrs.

I've run more in the last 20 weeks than I have the past 20 years!

20 weeks of running and 426km.

I paced myself well for the first 5km.
Got excited to be 'home' from kilometers 5-9.
Saw so SO many friends.
Saw my neighbours.
Saw my family.
Got my kisses and high fives.
Ran MY fastest 10km ever, 53:30.
My halfway split was 55:08
Suffered through kilometers 11 to 14.
Re-fueled.
Felt good from kilometer 14-17.
Was really REALLY tired of running.
New found respect for Marathon runners...
Convention Centre took for EVER to come.
Pretoria Bridge is REALLY far from the Convention Centre.
Got pumped on the final stretch, thanks to some wonderful friends!
Managed to get a little sprint to the finish.
My time: 1:57:59.4 - it was done.

My legs were really sore, I was lightheaded, but man did it feel good!

I have to say, there is no way I could have done this without Grant's support, and my girls happily asking "Are you going for a run?".

I have great running partners, with and without strollers. Always happy to run.

A wonderfully inspiring woman who smiles while pushing her twin baby girls through the snow and ice! No excuse for me to bail on running.

My best training partner, who sat through hours of running in the stroller, munching on snacks and asking me to "Go Faster". Jaida is my absolute favorite little-est girl!


You know how you get the goosebumps watching the amazing runners? Well, you get goosebumps running with them too!

1 comment:

D. Gillespie said...

here I am, I can't sleep, I should be sleeping and now have tears in my eyes at your lovely post.

Thank you. I love running with you and your favourite running partner too!

You looked fantastic out there. I think you had the best outfit ever for cheerers.