Monday, May 5, 2008

Less laundry and less garbage...

Since Jaida was born, it seems as though we are constantly washing, drying or folding diapers, on top of that the amount of disposables, though we don't use that many, makes up the majority of our weekly garbage.

So, last week we decided that Natasha would be done with diapers (during the day). We made a considerable big deal about it all week, colored in the calendar so she knew the day was coming. I also laid out 12 pairs of underwear, hoping it might last her 2 days, and made sure I had lots of clean clothes.

Friday morning came, she herself said "No more diapers for me!" So, that was that, she is done.

She did have many accidents on friday, but since then she has been really good. We took a trip to the bathroom every 15-30 minutes, and by Sunday afternoon she was pretty good at letting us know when she had to go. She still has some work to do in the #2 dept, but yesterday she was almost accident free there as well.

Natasha continues to impress us...we went out for dinner last night, (to and Indian restaurant...yummm) In the 3 hours we were out, we made at least 6 trips to the bathroom, mostly on her request, and she did manage to get a trickle out each time, and each time coming out of the bathroom saying very loudly "I pee'd on the toilet!!" The last time she came out running, and almost yelling "I had a BIG poop!!!"

So now, we have saved ourselves a couple of loads of diapers a week, though I am sure there will be more of her clothes to wash for the next several months. As of last night, I still had 6 pairs of clean underwear!!

We will tackle night time once she gets comfortable during the day, but for now during the day, as Natasha says "NO MORE DIAPERS!!!"

1 comment:

Julie said...

Wow! That's great! Is that how you did potty training with Maya as well? Christine is excited about going to big girl underwear, but I've been telling her that she has to go in the toilet only before giving them to her... I guess I'm not as adventurous as the Lawsons!! She's good when she's at daycare to go on the toilet every hour or so and usually has the same diaper through all her awake time, but we haven't been as good at home at putting her on often and she basically refuses to go with us. Maybe your method would work better for us... I'll ponder that one for a bit. Either way, we're not attempting this until the downstairs bathroom is finished!!